New catalog launch
The University of Missouri Libraries are pleased to announce our new catalog interface will go live on June 22, 2022. The new system will allow patrons to search books, journals, online resources, and more in one platform. All items already checked out to patrons will migrate to the new system.
We will be transitioning to our new system from June 18-21, 2022. During this transition materials will be processed manually which may result in delays in updating your account for items being checked out and returned. We will make the necessary adjustments to dates to avoid fines or other fees.
Requests for materials not owned by the University of Missouri Libraries can continue to be submitted via Interlibrary Loan or MOBIUS.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your library’s circulation desk.
Catalog changes coming soon
The University of Missouri Libraries and the State Historical Society of Missouri are delighted to announce that our new catalog will be launching this summer. Our new system will allow users to search books, journals, media, and more across our collections.
The University of Missouri Libraries and the State Historical Society of Missouri will implement the system at the same time. Our launch date will be announced as soon as it is finalized.
Continuance of MOBIUS Service
MOBIUS will not shut off on April 15, 2022, as previously announced. UM System users will be able to keep privileges at all MOBIUS libraries. When we launch our new catalog, there will be a link to the MOBIUS catalog in each UM System Library Catalog.
Changes to MOBIUS Services
Changes are coming to the UMKC Libraries catalog and library search this spring and summer! The University of Missouri System Libraries share a library catalog, and we are all migrating to a new system at the end of the spring semester. This means that early in summer 2022, the UMKC library search bar will be the new place to search for all library materials and research sources. As with any software migration a host of other changes will occur, and some temporary workarounds will be necessary.
MOBIUS Service Interruption
Due to the upcoming software change, all campuses will temporarily suspend the borrowing and lending of materials through MOBIUS beginning April 15, 2022 and shift to other methods of obtaining materials for users. MOBIUS* is our statewide consortium of academic and public libraries that agree to share materials and you may be familiar with searching and placing request in the MOBIUS catalog. Beginning April 15, your UMKC login will no longer work in the MOBIUS catalog. Instead, we will use our Interlibrary Loan processes to borrow the books and materials you need from Missouri libraries, or libraries around the world. Find those items in WorldCat.
We will reinstate full MOBIUS services as soon as our new software allows; however, we will be without MOBIUS services for at least one year. This disruption does not impact borrowing items shared within our four campus system of Libraries.
*MOBIUS includes the Prospector system of libraries.
How this affects library users
Beginning April 15, your UMKC login will not work in MOBIUS. While you will still be able to search the MOBIUS online catalog during the service interruption, you will not be able to place requests. Instead, we will borrow items for you using our Interlibrary Loan process, even when the lending library is in Missouri.
Library users should return MOBIUS materials by May 13
- Return any book with a green MOBIUS band around the cover
- Return any book with a light blue Prospector band around the cover
- Materials you have borrowed from MERLIN libraries – UMKC Libraries, or the other three UM System libraries – are not included
- If you have questions about where your borrowed materials came from, contact the UMKC Libraries Circulation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (816) 235-1526
If you still need the returned item for your research, place an Interlibrary Loan request for it
- Log in to your Interlibrary Loan account
- Place a new request for the item
- Note: your item may come from a Missouri library, but the request will be managed in the Interlibrary Loan system instead of the MOBIUS system
- If you need assistance requesting another copy of the item, ask a librarian via phone, chat, email, or an in person or virtual meeting
In place of searching the MOBIUS catalog
- Go to WorldCat to search not only the UM System Libraries, but libraries everywhere
- Use the “Request item through Interlibrary Loan” button in WorldCat to be directly connected to a pre-filled request form in the UMKC Interlibrary Loan system
Caption: image of the Interlibrary Loan request form link
- Note: the Interlibrary Loan team always tries to borrow locally first, so your book may come in just a few days from a Missouri library via courier service
This is the earliest change resulting from the migration that will affect you as a library user. We will let you know more about each exciting change when their implementation dates are closer. If you have any questions about this change or the upcoming ones, or if you need assistance requesting another copy of a MOBIUS item you have borrowed, ask a librarian!
Read the UM System Libraries statement on the Disruption of MOBIUS Services.
Disruption of MOBIUS Services
Due to upcoming software changes to the UM System Libraries catalog, all campuses will need to temporarily suspend the borrowing and lending of materials through MOBIUS beginning April 15, 2022 and shift to other methods of obtaining materials for users. MOBIUS is our statewide consortium of academic and public libraries that agree to share materials. The UM System Libraries have every intention of reinstating MOBIUS services as soon as our new software allows. However, we will be without MOBIUS services for at least one year. This disruption does not impact MERLIN items, as those are items shared within our four campus system. Users can still receive materials from other libraries using the Interlibrary Loan process.
We are working with our vendors and MOBIUS to reinstate services as soon as possible. We will alert users as soon as we know more about reinstating MOBIUS across the four campuses. The UM System Libraries apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our users.
• Return all MOBIUS items to the library by their due date.
• Check https://merlin.lib.umsystem.edu/patroninfo to find out your due dates for MOBIUS materials.
• Review materials checked out from the library and look for items with the green or blue MOBIUS band around the cover.
• Work with library staff to obtain currently checked out MOBIUS items from Interlibrary Loan, if the materials are still needed for research.